Friday, May 24, 2013


Well I have now been in Ireland for almost one week. This has been an amazing experience thus far. It has been better than I could have ever imagined or asked for. We have been so busy seeing different attractions and landmarks. This week we also began at our placements.

Ireland is very different from the states. They drive on the opposite side of the road and the controls and steering wheel is on the right side (which would be the passenger side of the car back home). I get confused everytime we get into a vehicle. The people have been very friendly. They have been offering suggestions of places to go and things to do. Not to mention that they have been interested in having conversations with us and learning about our American ways.

Another observation would be that they take tea breaks frequently throughout the day. If one prefers they can have coffee, but tea is very popular. I have also observed that the work days are shorter, stores and restaurants close down earlier, and they are environmentally conscience (examples: there appears to not be hot water available in the afternoons due to it being conserved and in stores they have paper bags or reusable bags for sale).

My placement site is a day program, which has 23 adult women currently. The clients are referred to as service users. They are more independent than I expected, however they do have some form of an intellectual disability.  Most of the service users at my placement live in an independent living community setting. Others live at home with their parents. Some of the service users are able to walk to the center daily while a few others ride the bus. Some of the ladies are able to come and go as they please.

Their day usually consists of working on a craft activity such as knitting, latch hook, making collages, needle point, jewelry making, sewing, etc...  The crafts that they make are sold at different craft shows/ markets to raise money for the center. The women also participate in activities weekly such as cookery and fitness classes. I did learn that the service users are offered other classes, but many have come to an end. At the center the year is slowly winding down and the women will be breaking for '' holidays'', which is vacation.

I spent my first few days at my placement getting to know the ladies. I sat and talked with them about where they are from and the kinds of hobbies they enjoy.  I also assisted with a few art activities. I had some problems understanding some of their accents and some service users language capabilities. When I had troubled comprehending the staff were there to help intrepret or other service users assisted me. It's strange not have to demonstrate productivity by proving what I did for the day. Particulary at my job site back at home every minute of the day must be productive and what I did must be documented. I do not feel that same pressure here. The environment is more laid back and stress free. Thus far I have felt supported and I am enjoying my site.

No comments:

Post a Comment