Thursday, May 16, 2013


Here it is the night before my big life altering experience. Tomorrow at this time I will be flying high in the sky and on my way to Ireland. I cannot believe that this day has arrived. The idea of me traveling to Ireland is still surreal.

 The moment I learned about the opportunity to travel abroad to study in Ireland I knew I wanted to go. The reason I want to study abroad is because I believe that while working in the counseling field I should be culturally diverse.

 I believe that my time in Ireland will allow me the opportunity to get to know another culture. I will get to learn another way of life outside of our western lifestyles. Another reason I want to study abroad is because I am looking for personal growth inside myself. By taking advantage of this opportunity I am stepping completely outside of my comfort zone and taking risks, which will reap great reward in due time.

My last reason I chose to study abroad is because the course includes 90 hours hands on experience. I believe these hands on experiences are very fundamental in learning, and will enhance the material presented in class and through textbook readings.

While abroad my main goal is professional enrichment and gaining cultural competency. I would like to learn about healthcare in Ireland. I am interested in how their healthcare system works in comparison to the healthcare system in the United States. I am also interested in learning about the health concerns and how they addressing those problems, more specifically I am interested in mental health issues.

 Outside of that I am interested in seeing the beauty that the country known as the Emerald Isle has to offer. I have heard so much about the beautiful landscape, the rolling green hills and fields that seem to go on forever. Then there are the ancient castles that sit along the coastlines.  I’d like to look beyond the stereotypical leprechauns and shamrocks and see what Ireland really has to offer including the heritage, people, and rich culture.

I expect to achieve my goals by spending time learning about the culture and taking part in the customs. I plan to travel and sightsee as much as possible and take in different aspects of living in Ireland. I also plan to fully commit myself to learning while at the work sites through my experiences and by talking with the locals.

While I am excited about traveling to Ireland I also have some fears. I am apprehensive about the long plane ride. This will be the longest flight I’ve been on to date. I hope that I don’t get too restless. I can also say that I am a little worried about being home sick. I think it will be hardest for me on May 26th, which is my birthday. I am use to being surrounded by friends and family at that time, who celebrate with me.

When thinking about what I am looking to most; I honesty cannot say. I do not think that I am more excited about one experience over another. I think the entire trip will yield something memorable. That is including the good and bad. It all will lead to some type of change and growth.

Well goodnight I’m tired big day tomorrow.

Oh and may I say that I am Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!!!!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment