Sunday, June 2, 2013


One more week and I will be on my way back home. This journey has been bitter sweet. I have been enjoying my time here, but at the same time I am missing home. I am actually surprised by how much I miss the ones I love and my daily routine back there.

Here a typical day for me has consisted of me waking up around 7:15am and getting dressed and having a quick breakfast before I go to my placement in town. Around 8:45am myself and another girl walk down the street to catch the bus.

 I only ride the bus into town and then I get off at the first stop. Initally this was done at the suggestion of the bus driver, since he would have been getting to my placement a little later. Once I get off the bus I have a short walk through town, which I enjoy. I tend to walk different ways to my placement in the mornings, so that I can explore the city. Occassionaly I will stop for coffee and a snack.

 Upon arriving to my placement site I will sit down and talk with the service users while they are having their morning tea, coffee, and biscuits. Once that is finished the service users all go to their assigned work area to being working on either contract work or an art activity/ craft of their choice. During this time I make my way around to the different service users and sit down and talk with them. I may even assist with the activity depending on what it is. There have also been days that I have ran activities. There was one day in which I initiated boardgames with the service users. On another occassion we made jewelery out of beads. Sometimes I need to help the service users work through conflicts they are having with some of the service users at the site.

At lunch time occassionally I will stay inside and eat, however most days I go out for lunch so that I can continue to explore the city. During that time I have been stopping in the different shops around town. I have also been eating in different cafes. I will usually stop in the ones with wifi, so that I can check my email and facebook.

After lunch I return to the placement and continue to talk with the service users and work with them. There have been days in which we have gone to fun fitness class in the afternoon. However usually the afternoon is conducted much like the morning. I tend to leave my site at 4:00pm. Sometimes I will ride the bus back home. If it is nice outside I tend to walk. On days when we have plans to go site seeing in the evenings I will leave at 3:00pm, so I have time to change and get ready. If there is nothing planned then I will take my time walking back home. I may stop at the grocery store to pick up a few things.

Once back home in the evenings when no outings are planned I will hangout with the other students on the trip. If I am tired that may consist of eating dinner and sitting around watching tv and talking. If I feel up to it I will accompany them into town for a night out.
That pretty much sums up a typical day for me. It really just depends on what is on the schedule. I like to make sure that I am getting a proper nights rest, so that I am able to function the next day. It is easy to lose track of time here because it doesn't get dark until after 10:00pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment